Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mummy

“ah boy, come take the bag to clear the rubbish bin”, mummy calls out. I could still remember her face then. How I was so afraid of her temper and would coward back in fear whenever she screamed at me or Mayvis.

It was like any other day where I come to mummy’s workplace to help her with clearing up an office or two before we head for the coffeeshop for some coffee and toast. I am usually helping her out with the washing while she goes ahead with clearing the bins.

However, today was a little different. She is slightly late and asked me to clear the rubbish for her together so that we can go for breakfast earlier. I noted her unwillingness and qualms when she said that. That sort of unwillingness made me some what disturbed and I know what she is thinking and I asked her about it when we are done with that particular office.

“Why is it that you seem sort of fearful when you asked me to clear the bins with you?” I spoke softly. “You a graduate mah” she replied, slightly sheepish. I was not really taken back as I was expecting that. I never know that my mum actually holds such views, and considering the close relationship that we holds. I am unable to put this feeling down in words, its just slightly weird, slightly upset.

I went on to tell her that we have no differences, and that education did not make me any different from her. I am still sprouting hokkien expletives during quarrel (although I haven’t been doing so, thanks to Sheryl) and that education also doesn’t mean that I cannot use any of those foul words. I am a human after all.

Why do we bother how people may look at us? They don't know us at all, and probably wouldn't see me at all. It would be better if they sees me, wouldn't it? Never judge a book by its cover, thats all I can say.

We went on for breakfast at Ah Lan’s (not a foul word, it’s the owner’s name) for our usual coffee, and continue our conversation earlier on. She showed me some photos of her and Hilda, one of her close friends, taken on Sunday. They went Pasir Ris to cycle, and I believe she is enjoying herself. Her face glows with excitement describing the things they have done during the weekends.

I really hope that she will maintain this sort of lifestyle, rather then staying out late at pubs, dancing and coming back drown in a concoction of smoke and alcohol.

I just hope that you can take care of yourself, be happy and not be bother by what’s going on at home about daddy. He is rather hopeless and it’s a unchangeable fact no matter how upset or depress you can get.

No comments: