Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Another day towards the end of the tunnel

 

Its another day closer to my graduation which is definitely going to take place at the end of the year. Fear is really creeping up on me as I wait impatient for studies to end and the working phase of my life to begin. I have been planning from 16 how my life would be and how going to the university is a must. Now that I am here, almost the end of the tunnel, I am feeling fearful about what is coming. Could the light be from a train? I guess it’s only natural for me to feel this way and the only person who understands why is Sheryl.

The route hasn’t been smooth and along the way I have met some good and bad people, some silly mistakes and most of unforgettable experiences. So tired sometimes.

This summer term for me was certainly very interesting as I try out yet another job, a dispatch rider. Hahahaa..and you could really see the different sort of treatment people give u when u are a dispatch personnel. Some of the office reception are genuine polite and really pleasant to almost everyone, but some got their nose stuck up so high that I could see the shit inside. Why make things difficult, or was it because they feel helpless in the office where they have to throw some weights on people who are perceived to be of lower status. Like what my professor mentioned in my intercultural class, power distance is really prominent and this is definitely not the first time I see such display of attitude. I could still remember how upset I was at a Christmas gathering in my mom’s workplace, so upset that I cried quietly in a room in front of my sister. Does it matter if my grandmother or mother is a cleaner? Are we invited to clean and eat after you superior beings? I swore on that very day that I will never go to another party at that place and I never did.

It is a narcissistic society we live in, how many times have you judge someone by their outlook? How many times did u make a comment without even actually knowing enough of that person? It’s a joke how shallow people can be. How dressing smartly in shirt and pants can get you acknowledgement from people whom you don’t even know! and how people look at you t-shirt, slipper and shorts.

People are so funny as I recall this incident:
Snobbish office lady (sarcastically) :
“Whoa so guai hor, no longer studying come and help your mother clean office?”
Me:
.. yah ..
Mummy:
No lar, he came to have lunch with me. He is still studying, in Uni now.
Snobbish office lady (smugly):
Very guai hor, private uni ah?
Mummy:
SMU
Snobbish office lady(slightly change in attitude):
Whoa, didn’t expect hor.

And she went on asking me about the school and admission and how her daughters, or whoever wanted to enroll into the school. Whole load of bullshit, and she assumed that I have forgotten about the assumptions that she have bestowed on me moments ago. F**kers.

Anyway on a happier note, my term 3b is coming to an end, yeah. Probably might spend the holiday dismantling my cd player again, but then again, I really hope to get the Citibank internship and start early even before the term starts. Nothing beat the joy of not having to worry about finances.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: